Myspace, Myspace Graphics, Myspace Backgrounds

oodlesofnoodlesoffun

Random thoughts and views and happenings and thoughts and views on random happenings etc

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Smile!!!

My question today....

Why do people grind to a sudden stop when they see a camera(form of traffic law enforcement) next to the road? I have been driving for about 15 years now and since these little "smile zones" started appearing in our streets, it never ceases to amaze me that people who are traveling at the correct speed limit, suddenly hit on brakes and crosses said lines at an almost snail pace. This has caused numerous bumper to bumper collisions and yet people still do it, without fail. We have several of these cameras in and around Port Elizabeth where I live. I live exactly 7-8 minutes from work and I have to cross two of these "speed traps" every day, twice a day, together with thousands of other road users. Low and behold, I witnessed another pile up today. It feels like I am watching an episode of Ripley's every day. I think I am going to compile a "How to act when approaching Smile Zone" course and sell it to the highest bidder. Maybe then we can get all those "trafficaphobia" and "wait-I-have-to-first-smile-for-the-camera" sufferers a little help. Alternatively we should go here for assistance.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger kyknoord said…

    The technical term for the phenomenon is 'Basic Stupidity'.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    I have to agree with you there Kyknoord!!

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said…

    Hey Jo, I found your other blog. I feel a little "dof" right now, it seems everything's been happening here and not on Jo's Angels.
    I agree with KN, ppl are stupid. It is like a terminal disease and there is no cure. Surely these ppl realise that the camera will be there, in the same spot, every day?!

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Sorry Chitty. You're not the dof one, I just decided to split the two. I don't want the teenagers at home reading my rants and raves. They know this page is off limits to them. So carry on reading, you missed some interesting posts. I am waiting for your comments.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Bosbefok said…

    Hey you, I like the phrase "Exactly 7-8 minutes" :-)
    If i wasnt so old, and it wasnt such a long time ago that I went to school , i would hazard a guess at the word Oxymoron ??
    I never know what speed youre supposed to be doing if its a strange road cos I kinda make up my own road rules and then end up "Effing and Blinding" the other twats on the road :-) It gives Terri the Zigg !! :-0

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    It's an instinct, like when you see a cop you automatically think, "OMG, what did I do wrong?".

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger LiVEwiRe said…

    People are weird; no other explanation. And dumb, definitely dumb, too. =)

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Hi all. Thanks for stopping by. So glad you found me again. Yep, I've come to the conclusion that I will have to learn to live with the situation as there apparantly and clearly is no solution. Blame it on Human Nature and Normal Fear of Persecution/Prosecution.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home