Myspace, Myspace Graphics, Myspace Backgrounds

oodlesofnoodlesoffun

Random thoughts and views and happenings and thoughts and views on random happenings etc

Friday, September 08, 2006

In remembrance

This will be a sad day in world history for many more years to come. I am not an American. I didn't know anyone who lost a life on this sad day. The actions of a certain group of people on this day horrified me. I remember being in my office at work and one of my colleagues screaming that we must turn on our radio's. We couldn't believe what we were hearing. I was a member of a motorbike club and we used to meet Tuesday evenings at a local pub. I have never seen a more somber pub. People weren't drinking. There was a stunned silence as we watched the broadcast as the towers collapsed. I cried when I saw the people trying to jump to get out of the burning building. I shot a prayer up thanking God that I was safe.

A very special person started a very special project and I feel that this is a small thing that I can do to help his cause. He started the 2996 Project. If you haven't read about it by now, please visit 2996 Project . I did just that and here is my contribution. I am not a writer, but I feel I have a story to tell and I try to do it to the best of my ability.


James D Halvorson(Jim) was a husband and a father. He worked as Head of Global Infrastructure Group, Marsh & Mclennan Cos Inc. He worked there for 30 years. He was an insurance broker who traveled the world and worked on many large overseas construction projects. He visited Russia, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan and many other places according to http://1cf.newsday.com/911/victimsearch.cfm?id=2075.

He grew up in Devils Lake, N.D. There he attended North Dakota State University and the University of Montana from where he graduated in 1967. He then moved to Long Island, New York. He must have met his wife during this time because they had been married for 31 years and they have a son named Doug. He was also an accomplished skier and runner. He completed the New York marathon in 1991. From the little snippets that I found on the net, I could clearly see that he was a well loved man. He was someone that others looked up to and yet he had a personality that endeared him to all he met.

When disaster struck, he was in his office situated on the 99th and 100th floor of the North Tower of the World Trade Centre. It is believed that that was were Flight 11 hit. He lost his life together with 295 of Marsh & Mclennan Cos Inc's employees on that day. But not just that, he lost his life together with 2995 other people on that day. I shall always remember 911 and the aftermath thereof. I shall always remember the fear it has instilled in all our lives. I shall always remember this special person assigned to me through this project.

I shall always remember Jim.

If a member of Jim's family ever gets to read this, I want to ask them to contact me as I would love to learn more about him. I would love to be able to tell a story about a man whom I believe has a beautiful story to tell!!!!

I know I am bending the rules, but I won't have internet access tomorrow so forgive me for posting this a couple of hours early!!!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    I don't think there are many people who don't remember what they were doing when they heard the news that day, and I don't think it will be forgotten. Ever.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger LiVEwiRe said…

    You've done a wonderful job! I went to the site but they've unfortunately closed it to give people time to complete their posts. I'll be checking back to read about what the others wrote. This is such an incredibly touching way to remember the day. Thank you for your participation.

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Bless you for making this special tribute. xoxo

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Terri - Yes, absolutely true!!

    Livewire - Thank you very much!! I am also looking forward to reading the other dedications. This should only have gone up today, but I would not have been in the office, so I posted it earlier.

    Dawn - thank you again sweetie. I am not a writer at all and I can only speak from the heart and I so wish I could find out more about Jim.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Flea said…

    Thank you for participating. Your post is lovely.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember where I was that day, it feels like a lifetime ago.

    A sad, horrible act that has left the world in disarray. We are all suffering the consequences even to this day.

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Michael Colvin said…

    I know how you feel. After researching my 2,996 person and putting my post together I will never be able to forget her either. You did a good job with your memorial and I think you will agree it has been a positive experience to take part in the project. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said…

    A fitting tribute to a great man. Well done, Jo... you did a wonderful job.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Hannelie - Thank you very much.

    Katt - So true!!!

    Todomesne - Funny that something so terrible had to happen for people to stand up and join hands and unite. It was a positive experience for me and I hope that someone from Jim's family gets to read it and hopefully contact me.

    Chitty - Thank you so much. I am glad I volunteered to do it. It was a very enlightening experience for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home