Myspace, Myspace Graphics, Myspace Backgrounds

oodlesofnoodlesoffun

Random thoughts and views and happenings and thoughts and views on random happenings etc

Friday, October 28, 2005

How to insult an Afrikaner...

If you want to insult an Afrikaner, you simply call him a Dutchman and watch the blood rush to his face. Ben O posted a comment recently on my blog questioning a term I used while answering a tag from Chitty and Michelle. My last comment was that I hate the word Dutchman and the incorrect use thereof. Let me explain ….

I am an Afrikaans speaking South African. As a result of a constant English versus Afrikaans struggle, several derogatory terms have been used to refer to either Afrikaans or English speaking people. I did a google search and came across the following explanations:

Dutchman: (Not a Hollander). Slang for an Afrikaaner. Warning: Don’t call anyone this to their face, particularly if they love red meat, drink Klippies (brandy) and Coke and wear socks up to their knees.
http://student.sun.ac.za/usdv/review/new/fun.asp

Rockspider/Dutchman: A derogatory term for an Afrikaner.
http://www.allatsea.co.za/army/glossary.htm

Rooineck

Afrikaner name for an Englishman, or an english speaking South African.

Rockspider

An english speaking South African term for an Afrikaner - Hey, you rock spider! Who you calling a 'soutpiel'? Come here and I'll klap your lights out!"
http://www.rsa-overseas.com/features/slang.htm

Now, I know all countries have something similar to this. For instance in America you have trailer trash.

Trash is appropriate vocabulary for Springer’s show, since the word can also be used to describe most of his guests. As a noun, it means a person of low behavior, usually from a “bad” family. An interesting subgroup is trailer trash: poor, trashy people who live in prefabricated homes (trailers) in trailer parks. Though you can find trailer trash anywhere in the US, they are usually stereotyped as ignorant Southerners
http://slangcity.com/email_archive/6_12_03.htm

And in America a Redneck means something completely different

Redneck, a related term, describes a bigoted rural Southerner. According to southern comedian Jeff Foxworthy, you might be a redneck if you have more tattoos than teeth, shave your legs with your husband's fishing knife, have a Jack Daniel's poster in your living room, answer the door carrying a shotgun, and have at least once thoughtfully placed a six-pack of beer into your friend’s casket before he was buried. While rednecks are not identical to trailer trash, it is entirely possible to belong to both groups at the same time.
http://slangcity.com/email_archive/6_12_03.htm

So, in other words, a Dutchman=Rockspider=Redneck=Trailer Trash and I am definitely not one of those and you can therefore understand my hate (yes Hate) of the word. Two other prime examples are the use of the word Nigger(African Americans) and Kaffir(Black South Africans). If you call someone a kaffir in South Africa, said person can sue you. Can I sue someone for calling me a Dutchman? Now that will open up a whole new can of worms. If you have any more of these offensive words out there, please let me know about them.

Please feel free to visit here for some more interesting South African words and sayings.

12 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger kyknoord said…

    Ah, sweet intolerance. Our second biggest export.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger DelBoy said…

    So what would that make me?
    Afrikaans mother, English father.
    English school, Afrikaans university.
    English and Afrikaans 1st language at school...
    My friends in SA call my 'Soutie' and my friends in the UK call me 'Dutchie'.

    I'll leave it up to you. :-)

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Catman said…

    very nice blog and interesting, i invites you to visit mine at http://catmangirona.blogspot.com

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Ben O. said…

    So very interesting. I feel so out of it when I visit your blog. I've been out of America, and I love seeing other spots on our little Globe, but I don't feel nearly worldly enough to hang (verbally) with the likes of you.

    Slang is strange. Here in America, it is almost a good thing to have a nickname like Dutch or Irish, if your family heritage is from some other country . . . as most of ours are.

    Very cool post - Ben O.

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Kyknoord - Its just my opinion, like you said in your post. I enjoyed that one btw.

    Delboy - It makes you a sweetie!! Thanks for stopping by again.

    Catman - Welcome and I went to have a look at your site and there seems to be a bit of a language problem. Do you have one of your many pages that is in English?

    Ben O - I know how that feels. I have never been out of SA. However, I find that I am learning so much from visiting all your blogs. I start to recognise people and places being talked about. Don't stop visiting!!!

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger Reluctant Nomad said…

    As an English-speaker that went to a predominantly Afrikaans school, I found that the English guys seemed to have more derogatory words for the hairybacks than they did for the rooinekke. :-) Do you think that's true?

    I understand how some of them are really unpleasant and vicious but what nickname for Afrikaner would you be ok with? 'Soutie' for rooinek is cool by me.

    One other thing, I know Afrikaner is spelt Afrikaaner in Afrikaans but isn't spelt Afrikaner in English? I know that makes sense even though it sounds weird. :-)

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Sorry sir Soutie Alan, I made a spelling error. My bad. I am quite happy to be called Jo if you don't mind. What is wrong with simply calling someone an Afrikaner? I have a good sense of humour, but this is the only issue that I get totally freak out by.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Reluctant Nomad said…

    Hi Jo, I know what you mean and being called by one's own name is probably the best policy to avoid having one's head smashed in. But, what I meant was should you be in company where people are teasing in a good-natured fashion, is there a nickname for Afrikaner, even if slightly derogatory in a different context, that you would be happy with?

     
  • At 3:52 AM, Blogger LiVEwiRe said…

    I've always wondered if my intolerance to people using derogatory terms makes me just as bad in the way of being intolerant. I'm referring to people intentionally trying to be hurtful, not to banter between friends. Then again, I'm always calling everyone a jackass or idiot, but I can safely say I don't discriminate...lol.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Bosbefok said…

    Well, I was a "Soutie" that went to an Afrikaans LAndbouskool (Agricultural School)and we used to rib each other mercilessly (but mostly good humouredly) The English were soutpiele and rooinekke and the Afrikaaners were Planks, Duchmen, rockspiders,hairybacks, clutchplates,or just ...hey! jou moer !
    It seldom led to offence but produced plenty laughs...

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Reluctant Nomad - I can't think of one right now, but a lot of people call me by the Afrikaans version of my name(Johanna)just to tease. I don't like it, but I have learnt to live with it.

    Livewire - I think a person must never forget to look at the context in which it is said. I think if you called me jackass, I would hear you call me sweetie or something like that.

    Bosbefok - I know it is normally said in good humour, but when a drunk guy who can barely stand on his own two feet, comes up to you and calls you a stupid Dutchman because you won't get him another drink, all humour is lost. Clutchplate?? hahaha, I haven't heard that one before.
    Come to think of it, now some of the things said on the school bus is making sense.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    Omigosh I just realised I've been happily reading the comments on this post for days now... and I haven't left one myself yet! This is where the derogatory term 'Dumb Blonde' would be entirely appropriate and not offend in any way :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home