Myspace, Myspace Graphics, Myspace Backgrounds

oodlesofnoodlesoffun

Random thoughts and views and happenings and thoughts and views on random happenings etc

Monday, May 22, 2006

Winter equals warmth in my heart......

What a weekend we had? We have been slapped with water restrictions in our city due to an obvious shortage. People all over has been praying for our region to be blessed with rain. Well, it happened. The heavens opened this weekend and we had two days of glorious rain. But jeepers, creepers, we weren't ready for the cold that came along with it. On Saturday, our temperature peaked at 12 degrees. Now, we are used to 20 plus temperatures and have been experiencing days in the late 30's during the last couple of weeks. All of a sudden, it got COLD!!! We spent the weekend indoors, under duvets and watching dvd's. On Saturday, I ventured to the store and bought ready made dough. I made curry bunnies for supper. I bought enough dough to bake 2 loaves of bread, so I ended up with about 24 vetkoeke. When I went to bed on Saturday evening, there was only 1 left. I am not a big soup eater, but due to the cold, I decided to have my first attempt at making a pot of soup from scratch. It is always much easier to just open a packet and whip in some hot water and there you have a steaming cup of soup. But I had to be different yesterday. I cooked up a chicken, then painfully deboned it. Using the stock as a base, I grated some carrots into the pot, some onions, added the chicken and some pasta rice(just for something different), added some herbs and spices and voila!!! Delicious!! Served with some fresh hot bread from the bakery, it was a winner. I went back for seconds, but alas the pot was empty!!! I could have fed a small country with the amount of soup I made, but maybe the kids were hungry because along with the pot of soup, 2 loaves of hot bread was polished off.

The weather seems to be clearing, it is not raining today, but the chill is definitely still in the air. I am dressed in winter woollies. We don't often get the opportunity to dress so warm here, so I am taking full advantage of it. From spencer to long sleeve t-shirt, to long sleeve shirt, to warm wooly jacket, to tights, black pants and knee length boots. I used to be a summer person, but boy do I enjoy winter days like the weekend we just had. I think it must be the coziness of the whole family being together. Summer is spent outdoors with everyone doing their own thing. It was wonderfull being together like that. Go on, call me sentimental or call me a romantic, I don't care. I hope winter stays for a while!!!!!

7 Comments:

  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    LOL! I know I would've done the same when I lived there but I can't believe your clothes... 12 degrees here and I'm happy to go to work in a 3/4 sleeve top, while the locals are running around in T-shirts!

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Bosbefok said…

    Currie Bunnies and Vetkeok !! You Bitch !! Where is mine ?? I am drooling at the thought of a good currie bunni...... Or Bunni Chow...
    I am SOOOOO Jealous !! As Terri says , our weather is the same as yours now and its mid summer here - everyone has dumped their coats and is reaching for the summer stuff !! Weird !!

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Reluctant Nomad said…

    Delicious-sounding soup - just the right thing for cold weather like that! Although, as Terri says, that's relatively warm by our standards over here.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger whatalotoffun said…

    I hate winters but it is nice sometimes just to cuddle under a blanket with your hubby.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said…

    It is cold up here too, Jo. I do not like winter, simply because I cannot go outdoors and do the things I love, Staying indoors, just sucks!
    Would not say no to a mug of steaming soup though... hehe.

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Terri - I remember that you used to get cold quickly and I promise you, it is getting colder every year. The windchill is what is getting to me.

    Bosbefok - Next cold day, I promise to make an extra one for you - I'll Fedex it to your doorstep... just remember that I make fucked off curry!!!! Remember the evening at Natties?

    Nomad - Ja ok. I know I shouldn't complain about cold, but gosh darn damnit - I felt like I was freezing. I couldn't feel my nose and my fingers went numb.

    Celeste- Now that is what it is all about isn't it?

    Chitty - I saw that it was -2 in Jo'burg Monday evening. Glad I was in PE, because I would have just died. Was there once in the middle of winter and made a mental note not to never be so stupid again. Nice to hear from you again!!!

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger AngelConradie said…

    Winter for me every time- thank you very much!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home