Myspace, Myspace Graphics, Myspace Backgrounds

oodlesofnoodlesoffun

Random thoughts and views and happenings and thoughts and views on random happenings etc

Friday, May 05, 2006

What are we chasing after???

These past 2 weeks have had me preoccupied with finding people who went to school with me. I found some of the people whom I had close friendships with at school. One in particular pulled at my heart quite severely. We were the best of best friends you would ever find amongst school kids. We spent weekends together and had pajama parties and did each other's hair and make up and then we got boyfriends and completely forgot about each other. How sad is that? I managed to find someone who still had contact with her. She gave me her phone number. This is how it went:

Z: Hello this is Z. How may I help you?

Me: Hi, is this ZJ?

Z: Yes, that was my maiden name.

Me: Well, we haven't spoken in 20 years. I have been trying to get hold of you for ages.

Z: Who is this?

Me: It's Jo

Z: No

Me: Yes, it's Jo

Z: NO!!!!!

Me: Would I lie to you?

Z: silence ( can hear little sobs)

Me: Should I rather put the phone down?(tears running down my own cheeks by now)

Z: silence (can hear muffled sounds of tissues and nose blowing and then I hear) but it can't be. How did you find me?

Me: Well, I called someone who knew someone, who knew someone, who knows you!!!

Then we both started laughing and figuring out what has happened in our lives since last we saw each other. She is still married to the same guy who became her boyfriend at school and they have two beautiful children. She lives in the same neighbourhood in Pretoria as my two teenage children. We promised to stay in touch and we have been. She is away on study leave at the moment, but she has a few e-mails awaiting her return.

There were several more conversations like this one. Funny that the people I used to be friends with at school were the most difficult to find. I had an interesting one yesterday where the guy told me that he had a huge crush on me and was too shy to tell me at school. Damn and he was one of the hunks at school.

This experience has led me to realize how selfish us humans really are. Life is a chase. I'll be damned if I know what we are chasing after. We are so busy chasing ?????? that we have left the most important things behind. I'm no psychologist or doctor or shrink or whatever you want to call it, but I know that we(all us humans) have to take a serious look at where we are going and what we are giving up to get there.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Bosbefok said…

    Aint that the truth !! All this friggin chasing around ....Its no wonder I feel so tired !! My other half woke up laughing her ass off last night cos she said I was sleeping happily and then LAUNCHED myself off the bed about 6 inches into the air ??? WTF ?? I figure I was chasing something that jumped over a wall in my dreams :-)

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger whatalotoffun said…

    Hi glad that you got incontact with you long lost friend again. Im still in contact with my best friend and I know that I would be devasted if I loose contact with her.

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Blogger LiVEwiRe said…

    That's great to hear that you got in contact with your friend! I hope you have many more wonderful conversations ahead of you! And if you do ever find out what we're chasing... let me know!!!

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Bosbefok - Did she find her ass again?

    Whatalotoffun - I know what you mean. I have spoken to so many of my old school friends during the last 3 weeks. I have about 6 lunchdates coming up. I might have to combine some of them.

    Livewire - I hope I don't find it because then life as we know it just won't be the same anymore! Some one told me that it is the thrill of the chase!!!

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    That's wonderful that you're making contact with old friends! I've lost touch with most of mine, I'm afraid. I guess the important ones are still around though ;)

    Oh, and yes my ass is still intact, thanks, hehehe!

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Reluctant Nomad said…

    That's a great story and it will be interesting to hear a follow-up when/if you eventually get to meet up in person again.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Terri - the sad thing is that all of them remember me as a skinny girl with straight hair!!! I am now the opposite. hehe

    Nomad - Watch this space because we are going to get together - even if it only happens in September at the reunion!!! Distance plays a factor hear. I have however met up with some of them who still live here in PE!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home