Myspace, Myspace Graphics, Myspace Backgrounds

oodlesofnoodlesoffun

Random thoughts and views and happenings and thoughts and views on random happenings etc

Monday, March 13, 2006

Sporting weekend


Look, if I was a guy, I would have been in absolute guy heaven this weekend. Friday, it was rugby and cricket. Saturday, rugby and the F1 qualifying. Sunday we watched F1 and the most amazing cricket match in history of cricket.

I love to watch sport. I am more of a rugby fan than Mr B. He often asks me to
identify players on the field. I am also a Blue Bulls fan and as luck would have it,
the only one in the house. Our provincial rugby team must still be born, because the guys playing currently can't do it. So, please forgive us for supporting other provinces. What happened this weekend. All the South African teams lost except for the Bulls. What a wonderful game they had! 23-16 win against the Hurricanes. Pedrie Wannenburg scored 2 tries to secure the win.
*photo courtesy of www.sarugby.co.za


As for the cricket, the game on Friday night in Durban, was a humdinger.
Close finish and if Smith didn't bowl and gave away 22 runs in one over, we would have clinched that game and the series. But no, he had to go and try be a hero. We narrowly lost that game and that leveled the series at 2 all. We then had to wait until Sunday in Johannesburg. We watched the start of the game. Ponting played a brilliant innings for Australia. He scored 164 of something like 106 balls(I stand corrected on the number of balls). They scored 434 and we had to come in and score 435 to win. We switched over and watched the F1. Mr B is an absolute F1 fan. Sakkie was watching cricket and F1 in his room. Switching between the two. Eventually we didn't know what to watch because it was so exciting. He came in while we were watching F1 and said that Dippenaar had gone out for 1. What a bummer! Mr B decided to stick to the F1. He knew his guy would win. I'm a Ferrari fan. Always have been and always will be. Sakkie came in about 30 minutes later saying that we better put the cricket back on because something is happening. Fortunately the Grand Prix was just about finished. Just as it finished, we crossed back over to the cricket. Smith & Gibbs were doing magic. So many sixes and fours!! To chase such a total seemed impossible at the start. However, the boys were doing it. Smith went out for 96. If he hit one more 4, he would have set a record for the fastest 100 ever scored. Gibbs continued his magic and after being dropped by Bracken(Thank you) scored 175 runs. Don't forget about Bouchers brilliant stand of 50 which included the winning runs. Before I get too long winded about this, I just want to say, that if you missed this game, you missed something special. I saw grown men crying in the stands. I saw grown men crying in my lounge. With 4 balls left, we had Andrew Hall facing Brett Lee. Hall connected the ball and it went straight to a fielder. OUT! With 3 balls left, Ntini was facing Brett Lee. We thought it was all over. He connected the ball. He ran a single which tied the game and which left Boucher facing Lee. We needed one more to win. Boucher connected the ball and we all held our breaths. It went for 4 runs. Jubilation!!!!

Proteas, we are proud of you. You can do it!!!
*photo courtesy of www.cricket.co.za

8 Comments:

  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger It is the question said…

    Wasn't it fantastic?

    Real tonic for a Stormers fan!

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    IITQ - Long time no hear!! Welcome back. I felt so sorry for the Stormers. It looked like they were going to win and then they just fell apart. I am so glad we could watch that cricket game. What a priviledge to see such brilliance.

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Reluctant Nomad said…

    I'm not a great follower of either sport but that cricket was fanfuckingtastic!!!

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger whatalotoffun said…

    HI!I watched it all the rugby and the cricket. On sunday with the cricket with the last runs left. Hubby asked to get him something to drink so I said there is only cane and Rasberry cooldrink. He said anyting just to calm his nerves. So he drank that. It was extraordinary. Fantastic.

     
  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger DelBoy said…

    Missed the game on Sunday 'cos I was on a train for most of the day, but got to see the highlights on Monday! What an awe-inspiring match. My Aussie father-in-law was not impressed when I rang him this morning. Said he was STILL trying to keep his dinner down!

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Nomad - Best description I've heard so far!!!

    Whatalotoffun - Cane and Rasberry??? Can you imagine that.

    Delboy - You have to spare a thought for the Ausies. Glad it was them that lost that game and not us. Can you imagine what the SA public would have done to the Proteas?

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Bosbefok said…

    A woman after my own heart !! I must say, I had a great sporting weekend. So much so, that I didnt even get time to watch the A1 racing. Thats like F1 world cup !!
    Its great! We also have 6 nations rugby to cheer for so its like a lottery on what to watch.... My Daughter has taken to spending time on the couch with me cheering away too... Life is great :-)

    Oh. Wow !! I just looked up and it snowing up a blizzard here now !!!
    Boy am I glad I didnt ride to work on my blackbird this morning !! Would have been a bitch trying to keep a bike upright in the snow :-)

    Happy Paddys day for tomorrow all....

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said…

    Bosbefok - I had a pre-birthday celebration last night and the hangover I told you about last week, is nothing compared to how I feel today!!! Have a great Paddy's!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home